Sunday 2 October 2011

Brunch and Brick Lane

Greetings everyone, 

I had great ambitions for my first weekend in London. Surely, I'd be able to squeeze in a museum and a major attraction or two (say, Buckingham Palace, which I've been told is closing for the season this Monday). 

Predictably, though, my plans changed and I ended up spending a lot of time doing every day chores...Laundry? Check. Groceries? Check. Readings for this week's lectures? Check, check, check. Buckingham Palace? I guess that will have to wait until next year. 

I did manage some exploring: Borough Market, which is very close to my residence, offers a wide variety of things to taste and smell. I bought some fresh figs which I made my friends taste- to mixed reactions (the American in my flat said he's been a picky eater since childhood, so I guess it was nice of him to indulge me). On Sunday, we had a big brunch for 12- I tried (and failed) to make crêpes, but we had tons of other foods- including congee prepared by my Asian flatmate, which was a huge hit. 

In the afternoon I walked over to Brick Lane, the Anglo-Indian mecca which boasts many curry houses and vintage shops. The Petticoat Market was winding down by the time I arrived, but the street was still bustling with families and young people looking for Indian sweets or chicken tikka. 


Brick Lane


View from Tower Bridge- What a beautiful walk home!
The weather continues to be beautiful and warm- we International Students wonder why the English are always complaining about it. I hear that it's 30 C in Paris so Europe seems to be experiencing a heat wave. It should cool down this week but hopefully it will be sunny for a while still.
xoxo Miss Engagée

No comments:

Post a Comment