Tuesday 25 October 2011

Bella Italia


Just back from a lovely, restful trip to Firenze in Italy! I met my mama for a few days of sight-seeing, eating, shopping, eating, speaking Italian and eating gelato. We stayed at a lovely little hotel five minutes from the Ponte Vecchio, right off Via Tornabuoni, where all the Guccis, Diors and Pradas are located. Day 1, I climbed the beautiful Duomo (Cathedral) and we visited the renowed Uffizi Museum where Boticcelli's "Birth of Venus" is displayed. We also had my favourite meal of the trip at Caffè Cibreo, on Via del Verrocchio (highly recommended!).
Firenze, Italia

Il Duomo di Firenze

Day 2, we spent some quality time with The David. Mom was surprised to see so many tourists, since last time she was in Florence (1986) it was the year of Tchernobyl, and she was literally alone with Michelangelo's most famous statue!!
We also ate some more, and saw the Church of San Lorenzo where Cosimo (Medici)'s crypt is located.
Buen apetit!
 I also spent some time in Pisa before taking the plane back to London. The obligatory stop at the Leaning Tower turned out to be quite pleasant- I managed to snap some pictures before too many other tourists were out and about. Following Rick Steves's advice, I walked back to the Stazione Centrale through Pisa proper, which is quite a pleasant little student town. Unfortunately Pisa's No 1 gelato place wasn't open on a Monday morning (what an idea!) but I grabbed a delicious pizzelle as a last culinary treat before heading home. 
The Leaning Tower- and me 


No comments:

Post a Comment