Wednesday 27 April 2016

Yangon Day 1

(edit- had to post this out of order due to poor internet access! enjoy).
Yangon, April 2016. Aung San Suu Kyi 's government has just taken the reins of power after years of military dictatorship and Myanmar, the country formerly known as Burma, is an exciting place to visit as it begins to open itself up to mass tourism and exchanges with the world at large.    
A few observations:
This place definitely reminds me more of India than Thailand. Not only is there lots of action in the streets, people also look somewhat Indian , and the buildings are pretty run down, a la Chawdani Chowk in New Delhi. Men wear the longyi or sarong and you dont see any girls wandering around in shorts, as one does in Bangkok. The men all have stained red teeth from chewing paan(betel nut). (Contrary to India, this is a primarily Buddhist country so you do see a lot of monks like in Thailand... and there are no sacred cows blocking the streets!).

People are so kind and helpful in Yangon, Im almost embarrassed to be treated so well.  When I bought my 1$ plastic bag to keep my wallet from getting wet, the vendor shows me how to close it properly. I have already met a nice young Chinese- Burmese girl who was manning a free food table.. and a young engineer who treated me to a bowl of noodle soup.  One little kid was a bit terrified of me but on average the kids are very friendly and quite enjoy the chance to soak a foreigner with water (well in fact they dont really care whether you are a foreigner or not because its fun to soak everyone!  )

There is a five day street party going on... and having been to Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Yangon for this water festival called Thingyan or Songkran, I have to say that Yangon is by far the most INTENSE. Lots of music, dancing, everyone being driven around in pick up trucks and getting super soaked. The atmosphere is really friendly and fun, but I am glad my hostel is so central because I really needed to nap this afternoon and take a break from the street action.
  I dont mind spending a bit of time in crazy, intense, gloriously wet Yangon but I think I will enjoy something more laid back after this!  Happy Burmese New Year. xx

(Français).
En bref: Oh lala! La fête de l eau (Thingyan a Myanmar) est encore plus intense ici qu'en Thaïlande. C'est un enorme street party, avec musique et camionettes qui servent de navettes pour les fêtards.  Je me sens un peu comme une vedette parce que les gens sont tres gentils, et contrairement a l'Inde, ils sourient plutot que de simplement dévisager les étrangers. J'ai bien hâte d'aller voir les temples de Bagan et le lac Inle, mais je me compte tres chanceuse d avoir pu fêter le Nouvel an birman ici!!

No comments:

Post a Comment