Tuesday 5 April 2016

Chiang Mai Favourites

Bonjour!

I find it hard to realize, but I am at my half-way (3 month) point in my Asia trip !  The second thing that I find hard to believe, is that I will have spent nearly one month in Chiang Mai, Thailand.  I didn't expect to spend so much time in this city but it's definitely one of those places that gets nicer over time - as you start to discover your favourite secret cafes, explore the sois (small side streets), and generally feel like a local.  Chiang Mai at first gave me the impression of a noisy and somewhat uninteresting city, so I'm pleased that I have managed to re-evaluate my assessment. (Ah, the evaluator language comes out. Next I will begin to discourse on indicators. ;) )

So, let's see, what have been to date my favourite places in Chiang Mai?

1. Patara Elephants

Going to play with elephants at Patara was an absolute definite highlight of my time in Chiang Mai. The elephants-for-tourists industry can be a little shady and it was definitely nice to know that Patara takes its elephant care seriously.  In addition to taking care of elephants, they focus on reproduction, knowing that the elephant population has drastically declined in the last few decades. We got to spend a half day being an "elephant baby-sitter", learning how to feed elephants, check for signs that they are healthy or not, etc.

2.The pool at Deejai Gardens

I landed in Chiang Mai at the hottest time of year (Helloooo 40 C daily), so the pool was an absolute essentiel. Deejai's has a decent salt water pool,  AND has hammocks, AND is located down the street from the hostel where I ended up moving to get A/C.  A bit of a party place but lovely nevertheless.

Enjoying the pool!


3, 4, and 5. The coffee shops of Chiang Mai (3 favourites)

It's a toss up to date between:

  • Into the Woods (a cute Disney-themed cafe that serves overly sweet drinks but has fantastic wifi and A/C)
  • Boon Som Sa (?) cafe, which is gorgeous and located just outside a Buddhist temple, Wat Pansao I believe.  (Can't beat the sight of monks drinking coffee, but unfortunately it's just a little too hot these days to sit outside all day). 
  • Wawee Coffee, which is the Chiang Mai equivalent of Starbucks or maybe Tim Hortons.  FYI there IS a Starbucks in Chiang Mai, but with so many lovely options to choose from, it would be sort of insane to have coffee there. 
The Coffee Shop Outside the Buddhist Temple (Just Outside Chiang Mai's West Gate)

6. Food-wise, my favourite vegetarian places were Taste Of Heaven and Morning Glory. 

I got to meet lovely people, including a Torontonian female muay thai boxer, while eating at both places, so bonus points to both. Taste of Heaven is right next to the Lost Books Used book store, so that was even better!   Honourable mention to Beetroot Stories, located in the courtyard behind Wawee Coffee on Rachamanka Road, for having the most amazing coconut drink.

7. Wat Chedi Luang and Wat Phra Singh

A visit to Chiang Mai wouldn't be complete without a stop at both these impressive buddhist temples, or wats. My pics aren't great because I mostly went there to soak in the peaceful atmosphere at dusk. Wat Phra Singh dates from the 14th century and actually has several buildings including a "mini Wat Po" (reclining Buddha statue) and an impressive old temple behind the more modern one.  It is also where many young monks are instructed in Thai language, script, and Buddhist teachings. I saw a parade of about 30-40 monks going to 'school' one evening - they are just boys but at the same time, they look like they have learned a few things about meditating and so forth.

Wat Phra Singh buddhas
Next time I visit Chiang Mai, I will try to come in December-Jan when it's not so hot, and enjoy more of its outdoor adventures such as hiking and zip-lining. But for now I'm grateful for cool coffee shops and nice jazz bars.  Oh yeah forgot to mention the North Gate Jazz Bar, which is also a good spot to enjoy live music with friends.

Voila, my little compilation of Chiang Mai essentials.  If you have any suggestions to add, please comment! Thanks.

Til next time,
Mia 



No comments:

Post a Comment