Sunday 28 March 2010

Lost in Translation

I have been relying on Google Translate a lot lately, since I try to have bilingual Vietnamese-English slides for my English club. Ms. Condom always has to review my slides, though, because Google Translate, while a mighty handy tool, is far from perfect.

Consider this translation of the TVU website's article on International Women's Day:

School DHTV honored to welcome her Son Thi Anh Hong - Deputy Chairman of Tra Vinh, Nguyen Thi Hiep - Chairman of the Tra Vinh Women's Union, representatives of the Departments and enterprises; on the school has DHTV MA. Nguyen Tien Dung - Vice Rector with your teachers, volunteers, the youth union members with you to attend.

During the workshop, your delegates and the students were listening to Mr. Nguyen Thi Hiep review 100-year tradition celebrated on International Women's Day in 1970 and the uprising of Hai Ba Trung the same time as high if role and responsibilities of women in modern society, traditional review magnanimous, indomitable spirit, resilience against foreign invasion of the female national hero of Vietnam, as well as the loss of the sacrifice the mother, the sister, the children in wartime and in peacetime for the children of students, youth union members understand the role of women in society, arouse the children's gratitude for Ms. Vietnam heroic mother, and her, and she ... from which the children have the engine rose to strive in learning and labor

This is only slightly more understandable if you have been working at TVU for a while. So "School DHTV"
actually means "Tra Vinh University = đại học Tra Vinh = DHTV". Mr. Dung (pronounced like "Yoon") is our Vice-Rector who likes to *encourage* me to drink 100%. And Hai Ba Trung are the two Vietnamese sisters who defeated the Chinese invaders about a thousand years ago (I think I might have mentioned them before).

On a related topic, I have recently begun to feel more comfortable "speaking" Vietnamese - i.e. I can ask "Where is the bathroom?" and *try* to negociate taxi prices in Vietnamese. "What a pity", as my British-English-trained Vietnamese colleagues would say, that I am leaving Vietnam in 12 days! just as I am starting to feel a little less like a fish out of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment