Saturday 19 March 2016

Trekking in Laos

Well readers, my last prediction came true as I have been in Luang Prabang and surrounding areas for 9 days now. Since getting off the slow boat from the Thai-Laos border I have been three times to the Kong si waterfalls (yep), visited the Pak Ou caves which have thousands of buddha statuettes, went up Phu Si mountain to view the sunset, saw a traditional storytelling performance, visited the Traditional Arts and Ethnography Centre, and the highlight of it all... did a three day trek in the jungle!
The three day trek was a highlight because it took us to some of the more remote and picturesque areas of Laos.  I signed up for the trek after having dinner with a Belgian girl, Ellen, who was telling me about it. We decided to book with Jewel Travel Laos since they were going to Nong Kiaw village which according to Ellen was a must see. Long story short, I am glad I went along with the idea! We drove up three hours and then hiked about 4-5 hours the first day. We climbed a waterfall! and stayed at a village that is divided between Mong and Khmu communities who share a school and other facilities. We made pumpkin and chicken soup and Ellen got to help de feather the freshly deceased chicken for our feast. The whole village assembled to watch TV, drink whisky (we were heartily invited to toast everyone s health) and teach us Khmu expressions. Its a very small town with cows, puppies and baby pigs running around everywhere. Ellen had never stayed in this type of setting (I had only had a similar experience in Ecuador ten years ago) so we both enjoyed it but also realized how luxurious our lives are in comparison... Day 2- we hiked from about 9am to 6pm wih many breaks because it was sooo hot and sunny, through limestone forests and bamboo forests. We stayed at another village, more prosperous, called Ban Phong i believe. And our last day offered perhaps the most gorgeous scenery as we hiked in a beautiful valley and took a boat down to Nong Kiaw, past buffalos bathing in the water and surrounding by tall skinny mountain peaks.
Overall a great experience which I would definitely recommend.  I immediately got sick the next day and now have decided to fly back to Chaing Mai rather than take the 20 hour bus so I ve been in Luang prabang two nights longer than expected but... thats not a hardship at all! I am feeling well now and excited for the next leg of my journey. xoxoxo's  from Mia

1 comment:

  1. Je suis un peu en retard sur tes récits, mais ça avait l'air simplement magique!! Emilie xxx

    ReplyDelete