Saturday 21 July 2012

The Wenlock in its Natural Habitat

Bonjour tout le monde,

Un petit bonjour pour vous rassurer que je me porte bien et que je travaille fort sur ma dissertation (!) quoique je m'amuse toujours. 

It seems the whole world knows that the Olympics are taking place very soon in London & as a result strange little creatures like the one below are popping up all over town. I`m not involved myself in any way, except to post commentaries on how expensive and disorganised the Olympics will be & how the Olympics Committee is using sponsors like Adidas (exploitation! they pay their workers 34p an hour!!) and Dow Chemicals (which bought over the Union Carbide company, responsible for the Bhopal incident many years ago which killed and injured thousands of people. They are still waiting for compensation.) . Maybe this is because I`m a bit of a Grinch when it comes to organised sports. 

This animal is called the "Wenlock". Its natural habitat is the county of Shropshire, but it has been popping up around the Tower Bridge area with alarming frequency.  The Wenlock is remarkably proficient in modern telecommunications and has been sighted on many electronic portable phones.  It has been known to slide on rainbows. Take no notice of those predators which call it a "One-Eyed Compromise Monster". 


Of course its not all doom and gloom. I`ve had the pleasure of hosting another good friend from Canada who stopped here on her way to Belgium and Germany. We went to Cambridge & really enjoyed ourselves although I have no photographic evidence of our jaunt. We saw Phantom of the Opera and Chicago, had high tea and generally had as much fun as possible notwithstanding the constant rain.


Close to Lincoln`s Inn in the Holborn Area. 
I am almost done with my stint at War on Want. It`s been really interesting even though I was less involved in the activist side of things than I would have liked. (Yes, I know "interesting" can be both good and bad... on the whole I would say working at this NGO was interesting in a good way, though I learned a lot about inter-office dynamics and how to manage conflicting opinions).

Trying to finish up a few more sections on my dissertation before my friend and I go to Scotland for five days. We are planning an epic trip which may or may not involved haggis. I definitely look forward to staying on the Isle of Arran and to wandering around Edinburgh. I will update the blog upon my return!

Je termine bientôt mon petit stage à l'ONG War on Want, qui oeuvre à la lutte pour les droits des ouvriers. Ce fut un environnement bien intéressant quoique j'en ai appris beaucoup sur la gestion des conflits d'opinion. Je pars bientôt pour l'Écosse- Edimbourgh, Glasgow et l'Ile de Arran- restez à l'affût, je vous parlerai de mon aventure au retour! 

Stay tuned. Lots of love, as always.
Mia   x

No comments:

Post a Comment